Crest of the Kingdom of Arkland
|Knight Wars Guide on StrategyWiki|
Knight Wars, also known internally as Castle Wars, is a cancelled real-time tactics game that was under development by Kuju Entertainment for the Nintendo Wii. The game was intended to be a spin-off of the Battalion Wars series with a high fantasy setting inspired by Medieval England and Arthurian legends. Players would have the option to control and lead units such as knights, archers, mages, and siege weapons.
Setting[edit | edit source]
Knight Wars would have been set in the same world as Battalion Wars, albeit its story occurring in the distant past long before the Lightning Wars. The game would have featured the following factions:
- The Kingdom of Arkland, which inhabited the area to the west of what is now Xylvania and were intended to be the benevolent protagonists of the story.
- The Reusman Vikings, who had an orcish appearance and were the ancestors of the people of the Tundran Territories.
- The Empire of Malbett, which settled in the Xylvanian hinterlands and served as the antagonists of the story.
- The Khorak, who were in conflict with the Empire of Malbett.
Development[edit | edit source]
|Knight Wars was meant to be a medieval version of Battalion Wars with a more in-depth story but although Nintendo paid for some development they hated the writing. The art however was brilliant, The textures were done to look painted, a for runner of Aragorns Quest, The first demo was breathtakingly lovely. It was just the models and textures and no lighting. The programmers added lighting and effects and it looked worse, The first demo was one of the most beautiful games I'd ever seen. It didn't help that BW didn't sell so it got canned.|
|— Dave Swan -|
Development of Knight Wars started alongside that of Battalion Wars 2 under the title Castle Wars, with some of the development paid by Nintendo. While the art style in its first internal build demo was praised, the publisher disliked the writing. The project was then canned following the poor sales of Battalion Wars 2.
Some of the assets were reworked into a prototype dubbed Paragon, which was pitched to Warner Bros. for a The Lord of the Rings game and led to the development of The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art[edit | edit source]
Reusmen Vikings[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Storyboards[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Craddock, Ryan (21 July 2021). "Nintendo Leak Reveals Scrapped Wii Games, Including A Metroid Title From Intelligent Systems". Nintendo Life. Retrieved 1 July 2023.
- Monokoma (14 June 2011). "Knight Wars [Wii – Cancelled]". Unseen64. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- Phantom5800 (7 February 2007). . GameSpot Unions. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Swan, Dave [Manmonkee] (1 May 2020). "Arkland was meant to be the good guys as far as I remember, they were the [equivalent] of the Western Frontier". Battalion Wars Discord. Retrieved 1 July 2023.
- Razzbow (30 July 2019). Dave Swan's comment on Knight Wars. Battalion Wars Discord. Retrieved 1 July 2023.
- Razzbow (31 December 2019). "Battalion Wars: The Story You Never Knew". YouTube. Retrieved 1 July 2023.
- Razzbow (17 November 2019). "Paragon Intro" video description. YouTube. Retrieved 1 July 2023.
- Battalion Wars 2 § Knight Wars Unit Classes. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved 1 July 2023.
|Game Boy Wars*|